Monday, January 13, 2014

Clearer beer

"counter flow wort chiller
It is very important to chill your beer as quickly and sanitary as possible.  The cold break is your second chance bind those remaining proteins together before making it to the fermentation vessel.  If your wort starts looking like an egg drop soup, the cold break is a win.  It is nearly impossible to chill the beer quickly without a wort chiller.  If you do not know what egg drop soup is, visualize snot. While you are running your wort chiller, stir to create a whirlpool powerful enough to see the bottom of your kettle.
I am sure you are asking “what in the hell is he using?”.  My secret to a fast cold break includes a wort chiller, a floor pump, an under the bed shoe storage bin, and ice water.  I usually run my wort chiller through an ice bath and recirculate the ice bath through the chiller.  210 to 70 in a few minutes if I create a nice whirlpool too."

I should try this at home with a water pump, a ton of ice, and a deep container full of ice water.

http://beermumbo.com/clearbeer/

No comments:

Post a Comment